The latest news and information about startups and innovations in education.
Happy Monday Friends!
Enjoy this week’s stories!
Manage Your Business's Technology from Anywhere, Anytime
Jamf Now helps you secure, manage and protect the iPad, iPhone, and Mac devices at work. We make management tasks simple and affordable, no IT expertise needed. Deploy Wi-Fi passwords, secure company data, enforce passcodes, and more. Learn more and enroll your first three devices free.
2019 Startup of the Year Applications
Startup of the Year has discovered and supported the most promising and innovative startups from around the world since 2006. The Top 100 will compete for the Startup of the Year title and potential investment up to $100,000 at the 7th annual competition, this year hosted in Memphis. Deadline May 12.Apply Here.
The EDUCAUSE Horizon Report Preview provides summaries of each of the upcoming edition’s trends, challenges, and important developments in educational technology, which were ranked most highly by the expert panel. This year’s trends include modularized and disaggregated degrees, the advancing of digital equity, and blockchain.
The Evolving Roles of Faculty with Ed Tech Strategies are also commented.
Carson says that diversity in edtech is a systemic problem not a pipeline problem.
Here are some things that he says you can do to reduce bias within your own interview room:
1. Take names and photos off applications and don’t allow candidates to upload resumes.
2. Don’t require a degree for vacancies, instead, rely on examples of real work.
3. Create a balanced hiring committee (ideally a 50-50 male and female composition, with as many minorities represented as possible). If you can’t do this using internal people then ask someone from outside the company to be part of the hiring committee.
Many districts now use drones as an educational tool, as part of a current classroom curriculum, such as computer programming, or in specific courses covering drone technology that prepare students for jobs in the fast-growing, multibillion-dollar industry.
These small but mighty aircraft advance learning in computer programming and photography, and prep students for careers in this burgeoning field.
A new edtech buying guide released by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) outlines five key areas for both district leaders and educators to consider before making a purchase. These include:
1. Alignment with students learning goals and standards
2. Importance of research and evidence
3. Data interoperability and student privacy
4. Challenges of implementation, use and ongoing support
Laura Truncellito- Laura is the founder and CEO of Language Scholars, LLC, a company which seeks to utilize cutting edge technology to enhance global learning and communication. email@example.com
Did you enjoy this issue?
Did you read something you think we should include in our newsletter?